What We’ve Done So Far
Since its inception, Colorectal Cancer Canada has made important strides in improving the lives of patients and advancing screening and access to treatment options. Colorectal Cancer Canada has hosted a number of scientific conferences, roundtables, and consensus meetings. Key opinion leaders from within Canada and from around the world have come together to generate consensus statements and produced practice guidelines to improve the care and management of colorectal cancer patients. Through various partnerships, meetings with key federal and provincial decision makers, as well as nationwide advertising, public relations and fundraising campaigns, our organization has been instrumental in:
- Increasing Canadians’ understanding of colorectal cancer;
- Reducing drug approval delays at Health Canada;
- Assisting in equal approval and access to many specific targeted therapies and treatments across Canada;
- Introducing Provincial and Territorial Colorectal Cancer Screening Programs:
- Leading decision in reimbursement of out of country healthcare,
- Introducing clinical guidelines,
- Promoting introduction of clinical trials for numerous treatments like Hepatic Arterial Infusion Pump (HAIP), Chemotherapy and Hyperthermic Intra-peritoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) as well as assisting in the development ofnational guidelines for the use of Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) in the management colon cancer.
- Publishing a Hereditary Colorectal Cancer Registries Proposal in Canada which brought national awareness to the need for developing and maintaining hereditary colorectal cancer registries in Canada.